A long car trip can be just what the doctor ordered when you want to escape from a monotonous routine. It can be a great time bonding with friends or family or you can do it alone. The possibilities are endless. But without proper preparation and packing, you are risking a good vacation for a miserable one. Here are some steps to ensure smooth sailing.
1. Make a List well in advance
A week or two before you leave, make a list of everything you plan to take with you and other important tasks. This can include getting your car serviced or washed. Having a list to follow before you leave eliminates any chance of you forgetting something important on the day of departure.
A long car trip can get boring sometimes, you make sure to have some sort of entertainment on board like a movie player, a video game or a book to keep yourself engaged. This is especially more important if you have little kids with you.
3. Charge everything
Everything you take that has a battery in it must be charged before you leave. Yes, you can charge some devices in your car but it is a hassle to deal with unnecessary cords when you don’t have to. This is also a good time to download music and movies you plan to watch on the trip.
4. Talk to the other passengers
Make a game plan of when to leave and how the driving schedule is going to be. Make sure to let everyone know the plan well in advance to avoid any confusions or arguments on the trip.
5. Book your hotels well in advance
It is a nightmare to travel a long way to a strange city or town only to find out that you don’t have a place to spend the night because all the hotels are full. So make sure to book all the hotel rooms well in advance (2-3 days before) so that you aren’t left stranded when you reach your destination.
Packing is important for any trip and here are some tips to help you pack smarter.
• Use a large enough bag: You shouldn’t be cramming all your things into a handbag or backpack. Use a bag that can comfortably fit all the things you want to take.
• Pack 2-3 days before the trip so that you can avoid over-packing or worse, forgetting something important because you were in a hurry to pack.
• Pack an additional bag with things like books, laptops, snacks etc. so you can find them easier and won’t have to rummage through your entire luggage to get that packet of chips.
7. On the day of the trip wear something comfortable and before you leave, check everything one last time, find a comfortable place to sit in the car and drive to your destination.